Now that temperatures are warming up throughout the Vail Valley, you might notice that some hungry critters begin to nibble at your prized bulbs and other new plant growth. Especially as many new plants are coming up, tender shoots are attractive to animals, so watch for evidence of activity. While deer, rabbits, chipmunks, vols, and other animals are a part of our natural environment, it’s possible to take some steps to curb their activity.
Animal repellants come in a few different forms including granular and spray varieties. Granular pellets, which can be spread on the ground around plants, can help deter smaller animals such as vols and rabbits, whereas sprays are better in repelling deer from taller vegetation. A combination of granular repellants and spray repellants can be used as well, especially if you’ve had a problem with animals in the past. If you think your area is a good candidate for animal repellants, follow these tips, and come in to Wildflower Farm for purchasing supplies and additional advice:
- Apply animal repellants in snow-free areas.
- Be proactive: Apply early, even before you see digging or chewing activity.
- Natural and organic products are available.
- Read packaging carefully for specific details about how and when to apply.
- Repellants may need to be reapplied after heavy rains.
- Be sure to spray areas of new growth.
- Repellants aren’t poisons; they’re designed to deter animals, not kill them.
- Use spray and granular repellants as part of an overall strategy for managing animals.
- Consider additional proactive strategies, too, such as fencing and sonic repellants, which can be noise devices that are designed to deter animals.
CONTACT COLORADO ALPINES & WILDFLOWER FARM TODAY!
Colorado Alpines & Wildflower Farm in Edwards, CO, is a full-service landscape design company and garden center with a unique garden gift shop and year-round offerings including annual flowers, perennial flowers, garden supply products, and more.
Locally owned and operated since 1986, Colorado Alpines & Wildflower Farm offers landscaping services and garden supply for personal gardeners and professional landscapers alike in the Vail Valley, including the towns of Vail, Minturn, Eagle¬-Vail, Avon, Edwards, Wolcott, Eagle, Gypsum, and everywhere in between. If you have any gardening or landscaping questions, call us today at (970) 926-5504 or send us an email at email@example.com.